LINE OF RESPONSIBILITY: Responsible to Learning Coordinator
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Para-professional provides academic assistance to youth in the Unaccompanied Child (UC) program. Under the guidance of the Learning Coordinator, assists youth with schoolwork and achieving higher levels of understanding and success in a given discipline or course of study. Para-professionals serve as mentors and role-models with regard to appropriate behavior in an academic setting.
E = essential function, M = marginal function
- Comes to an understanding of youths’ skill level and understanding of academic subject(s). (E)
- As assigned by the Learning Coordinator, provides guidance and instruction to youth in a variety of academic subjects. Primary focus is on improving math and English language fluency skills. (E)
- Provides assistance with classroom work seizing opportunities to help youth increase understanding of subject. Makes use of “teachable moments.” (E)
- Provides activities, “guided practice” and instruction to guide youth to higher level of skill and understanding. (E)
- Monitors youths’ completion of classroom work as assigned by the Learning Coordinator. (E)
- In the absence of the Learning Coordinator, manages the classroom. Ensures that all youth are engaged in prescribed learning activities. (E)
- Follows the lesson plan as directed by the Learning Coordinator.
- May provide remedial instruction for youth who are struggling academically. (M)
- Seeks and uses methods to excite youth about learning. (E)
- Actively supports the functioning of the house to which assigned. (E)
a. Follows and models house rules. (E)
b. Enforces appropriate behavior expected from youth residing in the house. (E)
c. De-escalates difficult situations by managing aggressive behavior as needed. (E)
d. Reports problems/concerns as appropriate. (E)
- Keeps Learning Coordinator advised of youths’ progress. (E)
- Completes reports and documentation as may be required. (M)
- Actively partners with other house staff with regard to youths’ learning and behavior. (E)
- Maintains appropriate, satisfactory and harmonious relationships with the public, fellow employees and youth. (E)
- Accepts additional duties as assigned. (M)
REQUIRED: Must be 21 years of age. Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) fluency in both written and spoken communication.
PREFERRED: One year of college coursework (24 credit hours) or one year of full- or part-time tutoring experience. Experience may be in a paid or volunteer capacity. Learning Coordinator certification (any level, any subject, prefer grades 6-12). Experience tutoring at-risk youth.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Additional duties may be added or changes may be made at the discretion of the Executive Director. These duties may be assigned orally.
The Executive Director may modify any qualification for employment except those requirements provided in state law or administrative regulations.
Please complete the fillable PDF version of the application. Next, save the completed file on your computer and then attach using the “Choose File” button on this page.
If you have questions about this position, please contact email@example.com